2021 JAZZ HOUSE SUMMER WORKSHOP
AUGUST 2-7 + AUGUST 9-14
TWO ONE-WEEK SESSIONS IN PERSON; ONLINE OPTIONAL
AWARD-WINNING WORKSHOP is back on the campus of Montclair State University IN PERSON! Each one-week intensive session immerses students in the art of jazz performance and helps them become well-rounded musicians through masterclasses, workshops, ensemble performances and jam sessions with professional musicians. We welcome students to register for both weeks, however each in-person session has a reduced capacity limit. Students who register for both sessions will be wait-listed for the 2nd week until June 1 to give all interested students a chance to participate.
2 ONE-WEEK INTENSIVES
- IN-PERSON @ MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY, Open to students across the globe online
- 6 DAYS EACH WEEK / 8 HOURS EACH DAY
- FINAL STUDENT PERFORMANCES ON AUGUST 7 + 14
- MASTERCLASSES, ACCLAIMED GUEST ARTISTS
- EARLY-BIRD PRICING
Students of all levels receive mentoring and top-notch instruction to develop key skills and enhance knowledge in fundamentals of music and the art of performance, for both instrumental musicians and vocalists. Highlights include masterclasses, small group and big band ensembles, history and culture, composition and film scoring.
Our summer workshop provides a safe environment where young musicians are mentored by an array of acclaimed faculty and visiting guest artists. Together, emerging musicians create musical bonds and memories that will last a lifetime.
- 2 x one-week sessions to accommodate the most in-person students safely
- Capacity per session is limited; a waiting list for the 2nd session will be activated for those who wish to register for both weeks
- Online is available to our students from across the globe
- Student Culminating Ensemble Concerts in Downtown Montclair on August 7th + 14th as part of the Montclair JAZZ Festival
IN-PERSON SUMMER WORKSHOP
Rehearse each day with a small ensemble – the “small combo” is at the heart of jazz, providing the space and freedom for musicians to improvise and create at the highest levels. Performance opportunities will include outdoor community concerts.
VOCAL JAZZ ACADEMY
Calling all singers! Study with distinguished New York City-based faculty for advanced jazz ensemble singing, coupled with an exciting curriculum of vocal technique, theory and repertoire development. Vocal Academy students will participate in jam sessions and sing with small jazz combos in outdoor community concerts.
FACULTY + GUEST ARTISTS
Work with an incredible core faculty every day that includes more than 25 leading jazz musicians, composers and educators! Our own 7-time GRAMMY Award-winning bassist CHRISTIAN McBRIDE leads masterclasses and coaches ensembles on a variety of techniques and subjects, as well as many weekly special guests. Past guests include Ron Blake, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Anat Cohen, Antonio Hart, Louis Hayes, Ingrid Jensen, Ashley Kahn, Geoffrey Keezer, Oliver Lake, Harold Mabern, Rudresh Mahanthappa, Russell Malone, Eddie Palmieri, Christian Sands, Norman Simmons, Akiko Tsugura and Steve Turre.
TV & FILM SCORING
Get the “tools” needed to navigate avenues open to today’s composers. This custom track focuses on technical skills and the composition process while students learn about musical ideas, sketches, revisions and performance for TV & film scoring.
Experiment with writing concepts and expand your improvising voice through composition! Students will improve their musicianship by recording their creations as well as by performing on other student composed pieces.
Students will explore the essential recording and production techniques necessary to create their own songs. In an ever increasing ‘do-it-yourself’ environment, musicians who are able to produce their own material certainly have a leg up!
CHiCA POWER Ⓡ
Rise and Improvise! Be part of this “girls only” initiative that empowers young women and the next generation of female jazz musicians, while having fun playing this great American art form and learning about the rich contributions of women in jazz. Masterclasses are led by internationally celebrated female jazz artists such as Dee Dee Bridgewater, Ingrid Jensen, Michela Marino Lerman, Anat Cohen, Regina Carter, and Camila Meza.
MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL SOUNDCHECK SERIES
The 2021 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL moves downtown this year! All students will perform live on stage on the Saturday of their session at the new SOUNDCHECK SERIES. Day-long performances will feature performances by our acclaimed faculty and JAZZ HOUSE Artistic Director CHRISTIAN McBRIDE.
All students, faculty, friends and families are invited to meet and mingle (socially distant!) for an outdoor BBQ picnic and student jam.
DAILY SCHEDULEMonday – Friday
- 8:45 AM Arrival; “Jazz + Eggs” Announcements
- 9:00 AM Improv
- 10:00 AM Instrumental Tech
- 11:00 AM Small Ensembles
- 12:40 PM Guest Artist Symposium + Lunch
- 2:00 PM Composition
- 3:20 PM Big Band
- 5:00 PM Dismissal
- 5:00 PM Informal Student Jam Sessions
Calling all students from across the globe! If you can’t be in Montclair, New Jersey, log on each day for an in-depth musical focus and a deep dive into the technical aspects of your instrument. Students will sharpen their improvisational tools, develop as composers, participate in a virtual big bands and take part in a noon-time masterclass with CHRISTIAN McBRIDE.
New! On-Campus Residential Housing for Vaccinated Students Ages 16 and up!
We are excited to announce that limited on-campus housing, steps away from the Cali School of Music, will be available for the first session only of the JAZZ HOUSE Summer Workshop to accommodate our growing number of students from across the country. Residential students will be chaperoned by JAZZ HOUSE staff and teaching assistants.
Please note, housing is offered week one only (August 2-7 session) for ages 16 and up and is not available for the second session (August 9-13). Our housing program is pending a minimum number of students.
- Check in: Sunday, August 1 @ 5:00 pm
- Check out: Saturday, August 7 @ 10:00 am
- Machuga Heights Residence Hall (air conditioned)
- Bed linens provided
- All meals provided
- Supervised after-hours activities
- Proof of full vaccination required*
- Residential Housing Fee $750
*Vaccine Required for Residential Campers: All JAZZ HOUSE students who wish to reside in the MSU dorms the first week, must be 16 years or up and fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Learn more about our Health and Safety protocols.
To Apply: Our housing program is pending a minimum number of students and space is limited. Submit the housing supplement application today!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: WE CARE ABOUT YOUR SAFETY!
The in-person JAZZ HOUSE SUMMER WORKSHOP will adhere to the highest safety protocols recommended by current CDC and State of New Jersey Department of Health guidelines, including:
- Student temperatures taken upon entering the building
- All students are required to wear face coverings and/or instrument face masks
- Smaller class sizes to allow for social distancing
- All students will be positioned six feet apart at a minimum
- Frequent use of hand sanitizer recommended
- Bell covers required + saxophone bags suggested
- Classrooms thoroughly sanitized between sessions
IN-PERSON WORKSHOP LOCATION:
John J. Cali School of Music
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043
Zoom links provided for all classes
9:00am – 5:00pm
Private lessons are held from 5:00-6:00 PM and during lunch period
Student drop off is at 8:30am
12–18 (Various skill levels welcome).
- Registration Fee: $25
- $870 in-person one-week session ($770 Early Bird)
- $600 online one-week session
- $1595 in-person both sessions
- $1000 online both sessions
- $750 Residential Housing Fee
- Need-based tuition assistance is available. Please fill out this application with your registration
- April 1 Audition window opens
- April 30 Early Bird Registration Deadline
- Summer Workshop Registration,
Video Audition Placement Deadline,
Waitlist Students Confirmed,
Tuition Assistance Application Deadline
- July 9 Private Lesson Sign up Deadline
If the session becomes full, students will be put on a waitlist until June 1st. After June 1st, rolling admissions are dependent on instrumentation and capacity limits.
To receive the Early Bird Discount, you must be paid in full by April 30, 2021. Please note that Early Bird pricing does not apply to tuition assistance.
Audition submissions are due May 31. Audition links can be submitted in the “Link to audition video on YouTube” line of your registration form.
- Health + Safety Protocols
- 2021 Audition Materials and Guidelines
- Tuition Assistance Application
- Frequently asked questions
We encourage students to register for both August sessions, however each in-person session has a reduced capacity limit AND WE MAY EXPERIENCE A WAITLIST. Students who register for both weeks will be INITIALLY wait-listed for the 2nd session until June 1st to give all interested students a chance to participate.
There is a 100% refund (less the $125 initial deposit & registration fee) until June 1. The $25 Registration Fee will be applied to any future program your child may register for at the JAZZ HOUSE in 2021.
- 50% refund (less the $125 initial deposit & registration fee) June 2 – July 1
- No refund beyond July 1
Call us at 973-744-2273 or email via email@example.com