12 Mar Letter to Families Addressing the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS’ mission is all about creating community around music, but like every institution where people gather, as well as for our families from across New Jersey, we are being impacted by COVID-19.
I am writing as I know this is an uncertain time and want to share the actions that the JAZZ HOUSE is taking to help protect the health and safety of our students – as well as our instructors, staff, volunteers, families and patrons. We are closely monitoring guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO), New Jersey Department of Education, New Jersey Department of Health and local health officials around the state as this situation continues to evolve. We continue to rely on their recommendations and expertise to inform our decisions.
We have established a leadership team and meet daily to plan and respond quickly to these unprecedented challenges. At the same time, we strongly believe in the importance of continuing to meet the creative and human needs of our musical community. For that reason, all programs and classes are currently being held at the JAZZ HOUSE as scheduled.
Here’s what we are doing to make sure we do it in the most healthy and sanitary way possible:
- Sanitize: Using products that meet the COVID-19 sanitation guidelines, our cleaning staff, faculty and JAZZ HOUSE team are implementing additional measures to create an environment that is as safe and germ-free as possible. This includes stepping up efforts to sanitize our facility – all door handles, surfaces and instruments.
- Sanitize some more: The nightly sanitizing of our studios and increased frequency of disinfecting the floors, all surfaces, restroom and kitchen area throughout the day.
- Internal training: All members of the JAZZ HOUSE team have been trained in vigilant personal washing and cleaning.
- We’re keeping healthy: We are closely monitoring the health of our teaching artists and staff.
We have set up the following mandatory protocols for our faculty, staff and students:
- Upon arrival: Wash your hands! Upon entering, everyone will be required to use hand sanitizer or wash their hands in the front sink for 20+ seconds (hum the first few bars of your favorite jazz classic) before heading to their classroom.
- Change in entrance: All students should use our main entrance in the rear of the building and not the Bloomfield Avenue door. The reason for that is to make sure our sanitation guidelines are being followed.
- Physical contact: Greet friends with the “elbow bump” – no handshaking or unnecessary touching.
- Maintaining clean surfaces:
- Bring alcohol swabs or disinfectant wipes to clean your instrument.
- Be sure to wipe down the classroom music stand, piano, bass, amps and drums at the end of each class with the antibacterial wipes we have provided.
- When leaving the JAZZ HOUSE: Wash your hands again! Use hand sanitizer when leaving the JAZZ HOUSE and heading out into the community.
- Stay home if you’re sick: Please Do NOT come to the JAZZ HOUSE if you feel sick or may be getting sick.
If you have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19:
Please let us know immediately if you have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19. Let us know immediately if your school suspends in-classroom instruction due to COVID-19.
Mental and Emotional Health:
As the COVID-19 risk unfolds, so do concerns regarding the social and emotional implications of the virus. Our staff and faculty are aware that students may exhibit signs of emotional stress. The CDC has compiled information and resources for coping during this health emergency. Please let us know if this is a concern with your child.
Our goal is to be well informed about our students. Please email or call Daniela Gonzalez, Manager of Student Services at email@example.com or 973-744-2273.
In closing, we recognize this is an ever-evolving situation. We will continue to keep you apprised and updated and we want to let you know we are currently exploring providing remote classroom experiences should we need to change the delivery of our instruction. Please feel to contact me directly should you have any questions or concerns. I can be reached in the office at 973-744-2273 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay healthy and keep swinging,
President & Founder
P.S. We encourage you to seek out reliable sources for additional information on the virus to learn how to best protect yourself and your family. This includes the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, New Jersey Department of Health and Montclair Township Health Department.