Established at the start of JAZZ HOUSE KiDS’ 15th anniversary in 2017, the J.T. Magen & Company General Support + Scholarship Fund will aid students of all ages, backgrounds and abilities, and help them develop as young people by using jazz as a life-changing tool.
The Fund was established by Maurice Regan, President of J.T. Magen, in honor of his friend and colleague Neal Lazar, president of Manhattan Mechanical Contractors. Lazar is a longtime friend of JAZZ HOUSE KiDS (and, as of recently, a member of our board), a guitarist, and an avid guitar collector who knows firsthand the power of music to transform a child’s life and imagination.
Kicked off with a generous donation of over $250,000 from J.T Magen, their colleagues, and other friends of Neal, the Fund will:
- Deliver need-based tuition assistance for students wishing to study at the JAZZ HOUSE year-round
- Provide one-on-one lessons with acclaimed professional faculty members
- Support the all-girls CHiCA Power® program—Rise and Improvise®
- Offer tuition and housing at the acclaimed JAZZ HOUSE Summer Workshop each August
- Provide an after-school haven with assistance with homework, peer mentoring and ensemble rehearsals