Location: New York, NY
Salary Range: $60-$65k
At JAZZ HOUSE KiDS, we believe the uniquely American artform of jazz, universally loved, has the power to ignite our creativity and create meaningful connections through our differences. As an improvised tradition, jazz promotes healthy risk-taking, creative leadership and collaboration.
Jazz is an authentic and essential cultural expression. For twenty years, the JAZZ HOUSE has been an instrument for change providing young people, especially from under-resourced communities and adults with access to learning, career development, and community building. We use jazz and the joy of music, advanced by master musicians, as a gateway to student achievement. Every day we keep our promise to build community leaders and develop global citizens through America’s original art form of jazz.
Student Services falls under the department of Arts + Education to deliver innovative, high-quality music education and administers student-related activities and events. Our Student Services Manager will support the Director of Student Services and lead the New York City student services division. This will include overall responsibility for front desk staffing and school operations, student recruitment, managing billing and scholarships, engaging and organizing the parent volunteer committee, and special events and programs.
We seek an energetic, empathetic candidate and a master relationship builder. You must be highly organized and conscientious, with the ability to prioritize effectively, juggle multiple responsibilities, and inspire the team to provide excellent customer service. You can maintain highly sensitive and confidential family and student information. You must appreciate and be sensitive to a diverse population of families and staff who hail from many sociocultural, economic, ideological, racial, and ethnic backgrounds.
Your Impact at JAZZ HOUSE
- Recruit, mentor, manage, and scale our New York City-based student services team to build relationships with our core community, students, and student families.
- Lead, inspire, and empower our students and student families with an outstanding customer experience across all touchpoints, keeping an eye out for potential student issues and monitoring student engagement within the program.
- Maintain regular and ad hoc communication with all students and families regarding all aspects of the program to ensure a well-informed community where all opportunities and information are clearly presented in a timely manner. Assist with faculty communications as needed.
- Contribute to JAZZ HOUSE’s reach and impact and growing New York City presence by recruiting and retaining students and engaging with families to coordinate class registration processes and private lessons for fall, spring, and summer sessions.
- Drive key core business processes, including assisting with accounting, building and maintaining the registration portal, processing students in our CRM database used to track all students, and developing and tracking deadlines for the department through a detailed planning calendar.
- Track student retention and post-graduate status of all alumni, as well as enrollment data for the academic year and summer programs for reporting purposes. and administer evaluations to students and families on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Serve as the voice for our New York City based students and families internally, driving awareness of issues as they arise and helping to develop solutions with the Director of Student Services.
- Assure that our students and student families are safe during classes and programs by interfacing with building contacts to ensure all aspects of building safety.
- Organize and inspire our New York City based Parent Volunteer Committee, which is critical in supporting student performances and other special programs, and take the lead on all parent orientations throughout the year.
- Drive success at New York City based special events and performances by supporting your colleagues in planning and executing student events, trips and activities.
- Support student services operations at the JAZZ HOUSE in Montclair, NJ as needed.
- Work with the Arts + Education Department to maintain class schedules and assist in the planning and communication of all student performances..
- Manage budgets and process expense forms for class related events and summer programming.
- A master relationship builder setting an example for the student support staff in providing customer services to students and their families.
- A track record of managing and inspiring teams and building trust through clear prioritization, coaching, and administering a system of reviews and recognition of good work.
- Familiarity with registration database systems, preferably ACTIVE, to manage and track student enrollment, attendance, class scheduling, student retention, post graduation status of all alums, student demographics, family information, and students’ special needs.
- Experience working with finance departments and administering accounting processes, including budgeting, billing, accounts receivables, expense reimbursements, and payments received, to track registrations to budget.
- An analytical thinker, able to identify patterns and extrapolate from the enrollment and income data collected for management and board reporting and driving innovation and organizational growth and success.
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively with the Arts + Education, Development, and Events Departments, for performances and special programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience with registration, admissions, and student services or recruitment, and overall five years of administrative experience.
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
- Willingness to work from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM three to four days a week and some weekends.
- Knowledge of Mac O/S, Microsoft Word and Excel, and Google Suite.
- Devoted to the JAZZ HOUSE, diversity, cultural competency, and inclusion.
- An emotionally intelligent and compassionate leader with an ability to coalesce others around objectives and their successful implementation.
- A role model relationship builder and staff manager, working hard with the ability to juggle and prioritize issues and multiple tasks without jeopardizing communications with students and student families.
- A passion for helping people and building a safe community of inclusion and opportunity.
- Ability to anticipate needs and opportunities.
- Ability to effectively analyze and use data and measurable benchmarks to drive continuous program improvement.
- A mentor with a commitment to selecting and cultivating qualified staff, recruiting parent volunteers, and inspiring service and building morale among staff and volunteers.
- A highly organized go-getter with a sense of humor and openness.
- Jazz lover!
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please let us know if you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability.
Location. New York City, NY onsite position, full time plus concerts and events. This opportunity is open to any applicant eligible to work in the U.S.
Please Note: The bulk of classes at the JAZZ HOUSE take place on evenings and weekends and are in person. This position is a blended day and evening schedule. Availability to cover occasional weekend shifts is required, and additional hours are expected during the two-week JAZZ HOUSE Summer Workshop.
Status: This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Student Services.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com with “Manager of Student Services, JAZZ HOUSE KiDS” in the email’s subject line.