JAZZ HOUSE KiDS seeks an energetic and experienced Music Festival Site Manager to contribute to the planning and execution of events associated with and leading up to the 2021 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL at this highly regarded, award-winning community arts organization. The MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL encompasses a Soundcheck Series of four (4) concerts from July-August culminating with a 3-day Downtown Jamboree weekend of music and festivities in September.
Reporting to the Director of Event Management, the Site Manager will help to ensure that the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL is produced at a high level of quality that satisfies the requirements of all stakeholders. The successful candidate will have the satisfaction of bringing the community back together again and advancing the mission of a growing, highly visible music education and performance organization. Through these efforts, the organization will be able to continue to develop the next generation of music makers, community leaders and global citizens. This is an excellent position for a dynamic, organized, people person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
Work with the Director of Event Management to plan and execute key logistical aspects of the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Project Management and Oversight
- Make recommendations for most efficient use of available resources, including time, staff, volunteers, equipment, and finances
- Manage a timeline of key tasks and milestones in order to achieve deadlines
- Troubleshoot and problem-solve as necessary, and present management and leadership with thoroughly researched recommendations and alternative solutions
- Oversee the preparation, execution, and follow-up of load-in and out for all concerts and events
- Act as a liaison to create all site related third-party vendor contracts and schedules
- Determine staffing and volunteer requirements for load-in, festival site logistics, and load-out
- Create protocols and oversee the execution of plans through proper assignment and training of staff and lead volunteers
- Provide on-site leadership and direction for festival setup, implementation, and breakdown
- Properly memorialize and file all protocols, records, and documents related to the 2021 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL
Festival Site Logistics:
- Major areas of responsibility (planning, contracting, execution, and follow-up) include: beer garden, rentals, parking, permits + licenses, security + safety, signage, and site plan
- Coordinate with lead MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL team members and partners to create the Festival site layout including placement of all principal elements, vendors, and production components
- Asses site security needs and engage appropriate contractors and vendors
- Collaborate on security, emergency, and weather policies and protocols for staff and attendees
- Create a plan for rentals with sponsors and key constituents
- Manage and track supply lists and coordinate the packing and return of all JAZZ HOUSE KiDS materials
- Direct site load-in with all third-party contractors and JAZZ HOUSE KiDS staff and volunteers
- Conduct post-event walk-throughs and inspections on the day after every concert or event to ensure the site is restored to its original state and all equipment and signage is returned to JAZZ HOUSE and all vendors
- Oversee rental returns on site, inventory count, and storage of equipment and supplies in proper place
- Participate in post-festival debrief meetings
- Develop a comprehensive post-event report following the festival
- This exciting opportunity is a seasonal position, independent contractor beginning as soon as the right candidate is identified and culminating on October 8, 2021.
- June + July: The position will be 25 hours per week in June and July
- August + September: 30 to 40 hours per week in August and September
- Events: Additional hours needed to work MJF event (these hours are above and beyond the scheduled weekly hours)
- The job duties expand beyond scheduled hours in the days prior to each summer Soundcheck Series concert and in the two weeks prior to the September Downtown Jamboree (flexibility to work long hours/late nights).
- Must be available for event load-in/duration of event/load-out for each day outlined below with the ability and willingness to work outdoors in unpredictable weather conditions.
- The Site Manager’s presence and supervision is mandatory for site inspections and any clean-up or equipment pick-up on the day after each concert or event.
- The position involves some weekend and evening work related to the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL.
- In addition to regular office hours, attendance is mandatory at all special events comprising the 2021 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL
- Soundcheck Series
- Thursdays, July 8, July 22, 5:30pm-9pm
- Saturdays, August 7 + 14, 1pm-9pm
- Dinner in Blue
- Friday, September 24, 7pm-10pm
- Downtown Jamboree
- Saturday, September 25, 1pm-9pm
- Sunday, September 26, 1pm-6:30pm
- Soundcheck Series
- All festival staff may be asked to provide support at other summer programming events as needed.
- May be asked to attend additional related events such as board/committee meetings and volunteer training sessions.
- This position cannot support vacations or time off due to the compressed time period of the position and the magnitude of the event, no exceptions please.
- Minimum of five (5) years of large-scale event production experience, preferably at an arts organization
- Experience managing and/or organizing artists, staff, volunteers, and vendors in both an administrative, pre-production and on-site capacity, ideally in a music/arts organization, festival, or large venue
- Excellent administration, negotiation and people management skills
- Experience planning the operations aspects of large music festivals, film festival or other festival strongly preferred
- Experience building and managing a team of seasonal staff, with strategic oversight of logistics
- Experience managing expenses and budgets for a large-scale festival or event
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Flexibility and an ability to manage unexpected changes
- Experience using project management software and planning tools
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with office software programs
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of an organization
- Able to work both collaboratively as well as independently with little direction when necessary
- Able to create new protocols, processes, and procedures as needed
- Excellent creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent team player with a “can-do” attitude
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Able to endure long periods of time standing or moving frequently
- Flexibility to accommodate an expanded work schedule in the weeks leading up to the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL is a must