JAZZ HOUSE KiDS seeks an energetic and experienced Music Festival Stage Production Manager to contribute to the planning and execution of events associated with and leading up to the 2021 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL at this highly regarded, award-winning community arts organization. The MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL encompasses a Soundcheck Series of four (4) concerts from July-August culminating with a 3-day Downtown Jamboree weekend of music and festivities in September.
Reporting to the Director of Event Management, the Site Manager will help to ensure that the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL is produced at a high level of quality that satisfies the requirements of all stakeholders. The successful candidate will have the satisfaction of bringing the community back together again and advancing the mission of a growing, highly visible music education and performance organization. Through these efforts, the organization will be able to continue to develop the next generation of music makers, community leaders and global citizens. This is an excellent position for a dynamic, organized, people person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
Work with the Director of Event Management to plan and execute key logistical aspects related to concert and stage production of the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Project Management and Oversight
- Make recommendations for most efficient use of available resources, including time, staff, volunteers, equipment, and finances
- Manage a timeline of key tasks and milestones in order to achieve deadlines
- Troubleshoot and problem-solve as necessary, and present management and leadership with thoroughly researched recommendations and alternative solutions
- Oversee the preparation, execution, and follow-up of stage load-in and out for all concerts and events
- Act as a liaison to create all production related third-party vendor contracts and schedules including: show producer, sound + lights, rentals, live stream + videography, script writer, and others
- Oversee the creation of Run of Show, Stage Production Schedule, and Script with key team members
- Manage the building of plans for the stage production aspects of the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL including stage, lighting, sound, livestream, and power needs
- Determine staffing and volunteer requirements for load-in, festival production, and load-out
- Create protocols and oversee the execution of this plan through proper assignment and training of staff and lead volunteers
- Create and maintain all necessary documents for festival production (i.e. timelines, production schedule staffing assignments and schedules, contact lists)
- Provide on-site leadership and direction for festival setup, implementation, and breakdown
- Properly memorialize and file all protocols, records, and documents related to the 2021 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL
Livestream and Videography Management
- Liaison between JAZZ HOUSE KiDS and contracted videographer for the Downtown Jamboree
- Work with the in-house team to coordinate a livestream (Facebook live) schedule between multiple stages during the Downtown Jamboree
- Manage and track livestream supplies during all stages of the event, ensure technology is working properly, and coordinate the return of all JAZZ HOUSE KiDS supplies
- Responsible for the seamless communication of information regarding the script for all events and stages
- Work with the Founder + President, the Show producer, and Script Writer to outline a script for both stages
- Oversee the completion of the script process
- Manage the production of the script cards and binders for all events and concerts
Stage and Production
- Main point person to coordinate communications between outside contractors and vendors including: show producer, sound + lights, rentals, live stream + videography, script writer, and others as necessary
- Work with MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL staff on guest artist relations and student and faculty performances for all events and stages to ensure all festival production needs are accommodated in stage plots and setup plan
- Manage MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL festival production equipment inventory & distribution
- Ability to create or obtain stage plots as necessary
- Oversee JAZZ HOUSE KiDS student musician and headline artist backline and stage set up
- Along with MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL festival team, create run-of-show and manage production details to assure a smooth production
- Conduct post-event walk-throughs and inspections on the day after every concert or event to ensure the site is restored to its original state and all equipment and signage is returned to JAZZ HOUSE and all vendors
- Oversee rental returns on site, inventory count, and storage of equipment and supplies in proper place
- Participate in post-festival debrief meetings
- Develop a comprehensive post-event report following the festival
- This exciting opportunity is a seasonal position, independent contractor beginning as soon as the right candidate is identified and culminating on October 8, 2021.
- The position will be 30-40 hours per week.
- Events: Additional hours needed to work MJF event (these hours are above and beyond the scheduled weekly hours)
- The job duties expand beyond scheduled hours in the days prior to each summer Soundcheck Series concert and in the two weeks prior to the September Downtown Jamboree (flexibility to work long hours/late nights).
- Must be available for event load-in/duration of event/load-out for each day outlined below with the ability and willingness to work outdoors in unpredictable weather conditions.
- The Site Manager’s presence and supervision is mandatory for site inspections and any clean-up or equipment pick-up on the day after each concert or event.
- The position involves some weekend and evening work related to the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL.
- In addition to regular office hours, attendance is mandatory at all special events comprising the 2021 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL
- Soundcheck Series
- Thursdays, July 8, July 22, 5:30pm-9pm
- Saturdays, August 7 + 14, 1pm-9pm
- Dinner in Blue
- Friday, September 24, 7pm-10pm
- Downtown Jamboree
- Saturday, September 25, 1pm-9pm
- Sunday, September 26, 1pm-6:30pm
- Soundcheck Series
- All festival staff may be asked to provide support at other summer programming events as needed.
- May be asked to attend additional related events such as board/committee meetings and volunteer training sessions.
- This position cannot support vacations or time off due to the compressed time period of the position and the magnitude of the event, no exceptions please.
- Minimum of five (5) years large-scale concert/stage production or technical director experience, preferably at an arts organization
- Experience managing and/or organizing artists, staff, volunteers, and vendors in both an administrative, pre-production and on-site capacity, ideally in a music/arts organization, festival, or large venue
- Excellent administration, negotiation and people management skills
- Experience planning the operations aspects of large music festivals, film festival or other festival strongly preferred
- Experience building and managing a team of seasonal staff, with strategic oversight of logistics
- Experience managing expenses and budgets for a large-scale festival or event
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Flexibility and an ability to manage unexpected changes
- Experience using project management software and planning tools
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with office software programs
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of an organization
- Able to work both collaboratively as well as independently with little direction when necessary
- Able to create new protocols, processes, and procedures as needed
- Excellent creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent team player with a “can-do” attitude
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Able to endure long periods of time standing or moving frequently
- Flexibility to accommodate an expanded work schedule in the weeks leading up to the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL is a must
- Experience working with celebrity artists a plus