JAZZ HOUSE KiDS is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let us know.
The position is currently a hybrid arrangement of in-office and remote work, due to COVID-19, until March 1, 2021. This position is based in Montclair, NJ. Start date of January 11, 2021.
Details at a glance
- On-site Location – New Jersey-based position
- Full Time Schedule (40 hours/week)
- 4-Year Degree Required
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS seeks a Donor Relations Associate to join its Development Department and help achieve the organization’s annual fundraising goals that will transform the lives of young people through jazz and strengthen communities. The successful candidate will be organized, diligent, and comfortable with numbers, spreadsheets, and databases, and will support the fast-paced Development Department of this nationally recognized, community arts organization that promotes diversity and inclusion by removing barriers that stand in the way of students’ participation in music and their resulting growth and joy.
The Donor Relations Associate is a passionate and detail-oriented individual who supports JAZZ HOUSE KiDS’ individual giving, corporate and foundation fundraising efforts. The candidate for this role will have excellent organization, time management, customer service and communication skills. The Associate will play a critical role in helping to maintain, steward, cultivate and build the organization’s individual and foundation funding partners. The successful candidate will have the satisfaction of contributing to a creative, highly visible music education and performance organization, and being part of a collaborative effort to develop the next generation of music makers, community leaders and global citizens. This is a unique opportunity to direct your energy and talents toward making a substantial impact on the lives of children and our diverse communities.
- This position reports to the Director of Development
Serve as the primary administrator of our gift management system (about 45% of time):
- Manage data quality and run reports for fundraising and cultivation campaigns across all channels, including direct mail, email, digital advertising, and events
- Process gifts and maintain the NEON database by entering data, creating new records, adding notes and actions, coding gifts, sending donor acknowledgments, generating mailing lists, running dynamic database queries/reports, and filing donor documentation and correspondence
- Oversee quality and accuracy of data in data and tracking spreadsheets
- Ensure accurate campaign tracking for measuring results of fundraising strategies
- Track and coordinate donor correspondence (pledge reminders, acknowledgments, birthday cards, etc.)
- Reconcile donations with the finance department each week
Provide strong donor stewardship, prospecting and event support (about 30% of time):
- Maintain good relationships with supporters
- Manage donor inquiries through email and phone
- Conduct donor outreach to reactivate lapsed regular gifts, or convert donors to regular monthly donors
- Create and maintain various reports, including revenue, foundation requirements and prospect pipeline,
- Conduct research and report on donors, giving trends, and industry trends
- Oversee event ticketing and RSVP process, and assist with event coordination and implementation
- Attend JAZZ HOUSE KiDS events, meetings and functions, as needed
- Support the Board Committees as directed
- Manage other duties, as assigned
Provide day-to-day development department coordination (about 25% of time):
- Coordinate day-to-day tasks needed to cultivate, identify, acknowledge, and steward individual, institutional and corporate donors with the goal of achieving contributed revenue goals
- Maintain Development Department calendar and associated tasks
- Assist with timely fillings and preparation of grant proposal packages and reporting
- Support corporate outreach efforts related to sponsorship solicitation and fulfillment
- Help prepare materials for solicitation of donors and prospective constituents
- Prepare board meeting documents
Skills, Knowledge & Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 2 years of nonprofit work experience in a supporting role, ideally in a fundraising capacity
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency in data entry, tracking, reporting, and demonstrated proficiency in database/CRM database technology; NEON database experience is a plus
- Up to date with technology and proficient with Word, Excel, Power Point and Google Suite
- Excellent time management, organization, problem-solving and research skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively and work within tight deadlines
- Experience with donor relations, grants, annual appeals and gala campaigns preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; written communication skills, including proofreading
- Occasionally required to work a flexible schedule including evenings, holidays, and weekends
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Must provide own transportation to Montclair, NJ as needed.
- Successful completion of a national background check
- Passionate advocate for the value of arts education and youth development
- Self-confidence, common sense, and excellent listening skills
- Values a diverse and inclusive team
- Articulate communicator able to connect with a broad spectrum of people in a meaningful way
- Able to energize and engage potential supporters
- Emotionally mature, with a sense of humor to maintain balance and perspective
- Proven success as a team member who can contribute to a positive and effective work environment
- Discretion in working with VIPs and donor information
About JAZZ HOUSE KiDS:
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS has been swinging doors open for 18 years, and our emerging musicians are soloing and singing their way to greatness. We use America’s original musical art form to stimulate students’ creative self-expression, personal growth and collective engagement. JAZZ HOUSE KiDS does whatever it takes to build tomorrow’s community leaders and global citizens through jazz and keep our promise to serve all students regardless of their financial circumstances.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume and writing samples to email@example.com. Please include Donor Relations Associate in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Salary/benefits commensurate with experience. References may be requested.