- On-site location, Montclair NJ
- Full-time, exempt position
- 4-year degree required; master’s degree preferred
- For priority consideration, please submit your application by February 5, 2021
We currently work remotely, due to COVID-19, and will reevaluate in-office and on-site programming this spring.
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS welcomes applicants for the full-time position of Associate Director of Individual Giving in our growth-oriented Development Department. We seek an exceptional development professional to join our nationally recognized, entrepreneurial nonprofit organization with a $2 million operating budget. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, high-performing fundraising and performance environment.
The Associate Director of Individual Giving leads efforts to attract and develop existing JAZZ HOUSE KiDS donors, works with our current and alumni families, and cultivates jazz fans who seek a thriving arts education and jazz community. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of developing and closing 5- and 6- figure gifts, extensive fundraising experience, expertise in leading annual appeal campaigns, and outstanding communication and relationship-building skills. This position requires the ability to develop trusted relationships, depend donor engagement, understand philanthropic trends and build creative donor-centric offerings. The Associate Director of Individual Giving will work closely with the President and Board to further major giving opportunities. The successful candidate will have the satisfaction of contributing to a creative, highly visible music education and performance organization, and being part of a collaborative effort to develop the next generation of music makers, community leaders and global citizens while furthering the legacy of jazz.
Reporting: This position reports to the Director of Development
Team: Work closely with Development Associate, Grant and Corporate Specialists, Director of Development, Communications Department, and the Founder & President
ESSENTIAL DUTIES + SCOPE
- Responsible for the develop and implement a comprehensive individual giving strategy in collaboration with the Founder & President and Director of Development
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, close and steward gift prospects
- Directly responsible to grow and steward a large portfolio of individual donors and build long-term relationships with growing list of individual donors
- Direct multi-year giving strategy and cultivate program underwriters and event sponsorships
- Research prospects, build relationships, and close mid-level gifts
- Play a lead role in ensuring high retention of individual donors and increase in giving levels.
- Generate opportunities to engage existing donors and prospects in weekly jazz education programs, fundraising events, and concerts with guest artists
- Lead efforts to advance family and alumni engagement
- Help solicit prospects for special fundraising initiatives including tuition assistance, arts education program underwriting, individual event sponsorships, and annual education benefit gala
- Develop membership program for Montclair Jazz Festival, produced by JAZZ HOUSE KiDS
- Cultivate the next generation of individual donors through new initiatives such as the junior jazz board, alumni steering committee, and grassroots fundraising and volunteer activities
- Lead virtual/in-person small-group fundraisers and support signature fundraising events
- Identify donor engagement opportunities and support major donor solicitation efforts of the Founder & President and Board members
- Develop compelling mid-year and year-end appeals and track results
- Develop and oversee expanded direct mail, phone banking and digital appeals
- Manage donor benefit fulfillment and recognition
- Produce engaging written communications and donor presentations that creatively tell the JAZZ HOUSE KiDS story
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree a plus
- 4+ years of experience as a professional fundraiser, preferably for an arts or music organization
- Documented success in personally implementing a comprehensive annual program that uses a moves management approach leading to successful gift closings
- Proven track record leading robust annual and year-end appeals and stewardship with measurable goals for total revenue, meeting benchmarks for number of engagements and solicitations
- Proven track of effectively soliciting small and mid-size gifts and working with family foundations with thoughtful, well planned and nuanced strategic and tactical thinking; legacy giving experience plus
- Excellent donor research skills and experience researching funding trends and identifying new opportunities to effectively link to mission
- Experience maintaining excellent donor records in a CRM system and generating detailed reports
- Experience managing and fulfilling donor benefits and overseeing individual donor recognition across various platforms
- Ability to write persuasively
- Strong communications and listening skills
- Self-directed individual with ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Experience working with people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to maintain poise, discretion and professionalism in all circumstances
- Strong technical skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; comfortable working in NEON or similar donor database and IWave or similar wealth management system
As JAZZ HOUSE KiDS produces year-round arts and cultural programming, including three major events each year, the successful candidate will have a willingness to work non-business hours to support fundraising initiatives and opportunities that take place on evenings and weekends.
- Innate curiosity, inquisitiveness and ability to energize and engage stakeholders
- Interest in jazz and commitment to advocating for youth development through the arts
- High level of emotional intelligence, maturity, flexibility, humor and insight
- Commitment to the mission of JAZZ HOUSE KiDS
About JAZZ HOUSE KiDS
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS has been swinging doors open for 18 years, and our emerging musicians are soloing and singing their way to greatness. We use America’s original musical art form to stimulate students’ creative self-expression, personal growth and collective engagement. JAZZ HOUSE KiDS does whatever it takes to build tomorrow’s community leaders and global citizens through jazz and keep our promise to serve all students regardless of their financial circumstances.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com. Please include Associate Director of Individual Giving in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Salary/benefits commensurate with experience.
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let us know.