Reporting to the Manager of Event Operations, the Volunteer Coordinator will help to ensure that the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL is produced at a high level of quality that satisfies the requirements of all stakeholders. The successful candidate will have the satisfaction of bringing the community together and advancing the mission of a growing, highly visible music education and performance organization. Through these efforts, the organization will be able to continue to develop the next generation of music makers, community leaders and global citizens. This is an excellent position for a dynamic, organized, people person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
Work with the Director of Event Operations to plan and execute key logistical aspects of the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Project Management and Oversight
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for the recruitment, scheduling, and training of volunteers for all MJF events (approximately 30 for Block Party; upwards of 150 for the Downtown Jamboree)
- Initiate relationships with schools, universities, service organizations, and corporations to recruit potential volunteers and respond to all volunteer inquiries
- Act as liaison to volunteers throughout the planning, execution and follow up of all MJF events
- Work with Festival team members to asses volunteer needs in each area, create a schedule of shifts for volunteer sign-up, and alert team leaders of the progress of filling shifts
- Schedule and assign volunteers as needed to ensure all areas are at least minimally staffed
- Maintain the organization’s volunteer management system Shiftboard including individual records, creating and changing shifts, and exporting reports
- Provide training for any task specific roles (example: how to work the Square point of sale system)
- Create and distribute day-of event documents for volunteers and oversee the process for volunteer check-in, assignment, and contingency plans for no-shows or understaffed areas
- Monitor volunteer satisfaction and report on areas of improvement
- Properly memorialize and file all protocols, records, and documents related to the 2023 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL
- Provide assistance as needed on all tasks related to the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL
- Ensure that appropriate thank you emails are sent, post-event follow up is conducted, and any conflicts have been resolved
- Conduct post-event walk-throughs and inspections on the day after every concert or event to ensure the site is restored to its original state and all equipment and signage is returned to JAZZ HOUSE and all vendors
- Oversee rental returns on site, inventory count, and storage of equipment and supplies in proper place
- Participate in post-festival debrief meetings
- Develop a comprehensive post-event report following the festival
- This exciting opportunity is a seasonal employment position beginning as soon as the right candidate is identified.
- June: 15-20 hrs/week
- July: 20-25 hrs/week
- August 1-11: 30 hrs/week
- August 12 Block Party: approx 20 hrs
- August 14-25: 30 hrs/week
- August 28-Sept 1: 30-40 hrs/week
- Sept 4-8: 30-40 hrs/week (including Labor Day)
- Sept 9 Jamboree: approx 20 hrs
- Sept 11-22: 10-15 hrs/week
- + 20 hrs of misc time throughout summer
- Events: Additional hours needed to work MJF events (these hours are above and beyond the scheduled weekly hours)
- The job duties expand beyond scheduled hours in the days prior to each concert and in the two weeks prior to the September Downtown Jamboree (flexibility to work long hours/late nights).
- Must be available for event load-in/duration of event/load-out for each day outlined below with the ability and willingness to work outdoors in unpredictable weather conditions.
- The position involves some weekend and evening work related to the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL.
- In addition to regular office hours, attendance is mandatory at all special events comprising the 2023 MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL that require volunteers
- Block Party
- Saturday, August 12, 12pm-10pm
- Rain Date August 13
- Downtown Jamboree
- Saturday, September 9, 1pm-9pm
- Sponsor Mixer TBD
- Montclair Film: Jazz Film Screening TBD
- Montclair Art Museum Concert TBD
- Montclair Brewery Concert TBD
- Others TBD
- Block Party
- All festival staff may be asked to provide support at other summer programming events as needed.
- May be asked to attend additional related events such as board/committee meetings and volunteer training sessions.
- This position cannot support vacations or time off due to the compressed time period of the position and the magnitude of the event, no exceptions please.
- Minimum of two (2) years of HR, people operations, or volunteer management; preference will be given to applicants with this experience at large-scale events or festivals
- Excellent administration and people skills
- Experience managing expenses and budgets
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Flexibility and an ability to manage unexpected changes
- Experience using project management software and planning tools
- Excellent computer skills and competency with the Google Suite (sheets, docs, + slides); familiarity with Shiftboard or other shift management software a plus
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of an organization
- Able to work both collaboratively as well as independently with little direction when necessary
- Excellent creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent team player with a “can-do” attitude
- A valid driver’s license is required; owning your own vehicle a plus.
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Flexibility to accommodate an expanded work schedule in the weeks leading up to the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL is a must
- Able to endure long periods of time standing or moving frequently
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “2023 Volunteer Coordinator” in the email’s subject line. No phone calls please.