08 Jan Director of Music Education
- On-site location, Montclair NJ
- Full Time, exempt position
- 4-Year degree required, master’s degree preferred
- For priority consideration, please submit your application by January 28, 2021
- We are currently working remotely, due to COVID-19, and will reevaluate in-office and on-site programming in the spring.
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS welcomes applicants for the full-time position of Director of Music Programming. seeks a full-time Director of Music Programming. This leadership role recently became available due to unforeseen circumstances requiring a relocation of the previous director. The Director of Music Programming is a key leadership position that furthers our mission to provide the highest quality music education and authentic jazz learning. The Director of Music Programming leads the day-to-day management of all classes and programs, oversees curriculum development, and manages performance initiatives for youth and adult. Since the pandemic began, all classes have been brought online. This has resulted in tremendous innovations and collaborations, and our talented team continues to keep students learning and inspired and our community of supporters and fans engaged in the power of music.
This position reports to the Founder & President
Arts Education and Performance Team: Faculty and Teaching Assistants, Manager of Student Services, Special Program Manager, and Arts Education Associate
Key areas of oversight require
- An experienced arts administrator and jazz educator with significant relationship building experience and a proven ability to maintain and develop high quality programs within budget and within curriculum alignment to meet goals and provide best-in-class impact.
- Program oversight and evaluation, meeting recruitment and enrollment goals, goal-oriented and data analysis driven, strong budgeting and management skills, commitment to fostering local, regional, national and global partnerships in a discreet and professional manner.
- An experienced jazz educator with a commitment to enriching communities through the arts with significant experience in managing professional faculty and evaluation, student placement and development, performance development and family engagement.
- Passion and knowledge of jazz and its history, legacy and culture.
- Ability to facilitate access to the arts for all and to engage young people and adult learners.
- Ability to provide leadership in a fast-paced environment, juggle multiple priorities and lead a committed jazz faculty.
- Desire to use technology and online learning as a positive tool to broaden reach and create new programming opportunities beyond the pandemic.
Programming at the Jazz House:
- Collaboration: Work closely with the Director of Cultural and Summer Programming to build cohesive, year-round offerings that result in a thriving community arts program with national and international reach in a safe, diverse, and inclusive fun learning environment with uncompromising standards for jazz education and performance excellence.
- Shaping the Direction of the Program: Create and/or develop overall educational and musical direction for classes, programs and concerts for our instrumental and vocal programs in our youth and adult divisions, including possible new areas of expansion for seniors, early childhood education, strings and cultural programming.
- Online Learning and Visioning: Lead the effort to bring the organization back to in person classes when it is safe to do so, while continuing to innovate using online and hybrid global learning.
- Furthering the Organizational Brand: Carry out the overarching educational goals and artistic vision of Founder & President Melissa Walker and Artistic Director Christian McBride.
- Recruitment: Meet programmatic recruitment goals for existing and new programs. Establish relationships with music educators, national and global partners, administrators and professional organizations, and maintain a schedule of visiting school programs to recruit students and adult learners for our programs.
- Student Placement: Audition, schedule and place all academic year ensembles and classes and oversee the overall artistic development and well-being of our students.
- Family Communication and Relationship Building: Relationship building is an essential component of the position. Establish and maintain relationships with students, families and alumni. Encourage positive outcomes to potential conflicts. Represent JAZZ HOUSE KiDS through active participation at local, regional and national meetings and conferences. Works closely with leadership in advancing mission to foster community leaders and global citizens.
- Faculty and Staff Supervision: Manage all faculty through recruitment, orientation, curriculum oversight and evaluation. Interview, supervise, and evaluate reporting staff, teaching artists, teaching assistants and interns. Work in tandem with other departments including operations, marketing and development.
- Concerts and Musical Enrichment: Oversee and plan all concerts, special trips, community concerts, and competitions. Produce and oversee all musical enrichment programming, including CHiCA Power, JAZZ HOUSE Goes to College, the Emerging Musicians Community Concerts program, and adult programming.
- Evaluation: Lead robust evaluation initiative to monitor and evaluate all JAZZ HOUSE KiDS education programs. Prepare final reports, statistics, and analyses for funders and school partners.
Programming Oversight in the Schools
- K-12 Education and Arts Education Standards: Oversee our in-school programming in underserved school districts to provide sequential learning and curriculum oversight and evaluation, and maintain student enrollment goals to ensure a robust and vibrant feeder program and boost achievement.
Qualifications: Skills, Knowledge & Expertise
- Demonstrated ability to build and advance a strong arts education program
- Strong musicianship and professional performance experience a plus
- Self-motivated, high energy, and team-oriented with a can-do attitude
- Demonstrated ability to manage and oversee staff
- Ability to facilitate online learning and use new technologies to achieve educational goals in a virtual environment
- K-12 arts training, curriculum development and knowledge of state standards a plus
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize, implement and direct programs
- Student outreach and recruitment experience
- Ability to accurately assess and place students in ensembles by musical skill level
- Ability to anticipate programmatic needs, and balance multiple priorities effectively in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to handle difficult situations
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Professional, nonjudgmental, compassionate demeanor with good listening skills
- Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of five years of arts administrative experience preferred
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
- Advanced knowledge of Mac systems, Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Suite, and Zoom
- Familiarity with DAW software, and Finale/Sibelius or other music notation software a plus
- Passion for jazz and demonstrated commitment to advocating for the arts and for cultural diversity
- Empathy for helping people thrive and building a safe community for families, supporters and fans that celebrates diversity and fosters creativity, inclusion, and opportunity
- Ability to energize and engage faculty, peers, students, families and fans
- Thrive in a collaborative environment with a high degree of emotional intelligence, maturity, flexibility, humor and insight
- Commitment to the mission of JAZZ HOUSE KiDS
About JAZZ HOUSE KiDS
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS has been swinging doors open for 18 years, and our emerging musicians are soloing and singing their way to greatness. We use America’s original musical art form to stimulate students’ creative self-expression, personal growth and collective engagement. JAZZ HOUSE KiDS does whatever it takes to build tomorrow’s community leaders and global citizens through jazz and keep our promise to serve all students regardless of their financial circumstances.
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS believes in jazz as an essential cultural expression to be celebrated through performance, education and advocacy. We use authentic jazz programming advanced by practitioners of the art form as a gateway to student achievement on and off the bandstand, boosting students’ academic outcomes, improving life skills, and increasing civic engagement.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Director of Music Programming in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Salary/benefits commensurate with experience. JAZZ HOUSE KiDS reserves the right to update or modify this position to ensure full alignment with the organization while maintaining the director level.
JAZZ HOUSE KiDS is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let us know.